In 1946, Mr. Neel’s son John returned from WWII. John flew 50 combat missions over Italy as a B-25 bomber pilot in the 12th Air Force, 37th Wing, 321st Group, 446th Squadron. Upon his return John became superintendent.
In the late 1940’s and 50’s Jefferson continued to expand. The returning WWII Veteran’s were very realistic about life and death. Pre-need sales of cemetery property billowed exponentially. At one point in 1954 Jefferson had 50 sales people, some with territories in what is now the North Hills.
John’s son, John II joined the company in 1973. John II “computerized” our records and supervised the construction of the Jefferson Mausoleum East Wing addition.
In 1978, John Neel’s son Harry returned from his service in the US Navy as a Naval Aviator. Harry continued his military service as an A-7D Fighter Pilot with the 112th Tac Fighter Group, 446th
Fighter Squadron, in the Pennsylvania Air National Guard until his retirement in 1993.
It has always been the vision of John to build a Funeral Home on the grounds of Jefferson Memorial. That desire was fulfilled on September 1, 1993 when Jefferson Memorial Funeral Home opened.
Today Jefferson Memorial Cemetery is one of the largest and most beautiful cemeteries in the United States and Jefferson Memorial Funeral Home has grown to one of the largest in Pennsylvania.
Return to Top
FACTS ABOUT JEFFERSON CEMETERY
- 38 Traditional ground burial gardens including 4 lawn crypt sections for double depth burials
- 340 Acres owned. 170 acres developed as cemetery and 170 acres available for future development
- 8437 Mausoleum Crypt spaces constructed for casketed burial (This includes 5 separate buildings or complexes constructed in 20 separate phases and 4 private mausoleums.)
- 1500 Average annual interments
- 76,395 Total interments thru June 2007
- 14 Mausoleum cremation niche units
- 14 Gardens that contain cremation niches
- 24 Garden statues of bronze or marble
- 32 Other garden features in mosaic, incised granite or natural stone
- 6 Thirty foot, thirty ton granite columns and façade from the Bank of Pittsburgh founded in 1810.
- 1 Set of stairs from the estate of Pittsburgh Industrialist, Henry Oliver
- 5 Original Roman Urns from the City of Pompei